Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Different Grafts on Plum Tree

Posted by blazeaglory 10 SZ22 OC Ca (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 15:53

Hello. This might sound like a stupid question but here we go. I have a 3 in 1 plum tree. Santa Rosa, Satsuma, Italian Plum. Now my question is. Both the Japanese varieties are low chill and are good for my area but the Italian Plum is not. My question is will that affect the flowering of the other 2 grafts? As in does each graft still function independently or as a whole? The Italian wont force the others to not flower correct? All three grafts are still functioning off of their original chill requirements right? Yeah I know Im stupid...hehehe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Different Grafts on Plum Tree

No, actually it's a good question, blaze. I have a 4-in-1 peach I bought on a lark. Not a big fan of multi-grafted trees, but I wanted to experiment with this one. What you can frequently see happen is that the stronger variety can "overtake" some of the less vigorous varieties. The recommendation is to figure out which is a less vigorous variety, or which graft seems to be lagging a bit, and plant that graft facing south. Place the most vigorous graft if possible facing north. And, keep the more vigorous variety pruned down so it doesn't overtake the the other varieties. The varieties will bloom when they bloom, and will produce just the same as if they were an individual tree. So yes, in that way they do function independently. And, make sure you hang good, permanent tags on your various grafts, close to the trunk. Make sure you loosen the tags and the branches grow in diameter. That way, you're not try to guess what branch is what variety down the road.

Patty S.

o
RE: Different Grafts on Plum Tree

Thanks. Thats good advice. By luck I had planted the tree just as you said. But I think eventually I will remove the Italian Plum if it doesnt fruit. I chopped one of the Italian branches and sent it with my uncle to root but it didnt make it:-( Anyways I think Pacific Groves grafted the tree with the strongest grower on the bottom and the weakest on the top. Well see though. I think Ill end up with a 2in1 plum but thats OK because its my 2 favorites. I just want it to fruit:-) Thanks Patty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here