Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cherries stop growing, shrivel.....

Posted by lola-lemon 5b East WA (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 16:02

Trying to pin down why this happened for the second time in 3 years.

The tree is FULL of baby cherry nubs (like a cooked grain of barley size) -(if they all ripened we'd have several wheel barrows full) -and then most of cherries quit developing and now we only have maybe 40 cherries left growing on a mature tree. the rest are shrivelling up .

Hubby was busy and it wasn't pruned or fed this year.
Also- hubby doesn't like the lawn to grow to fast and tends to shut off the sprinklers anytime it is cool.

Didn't see many bees this year (or last year, but crop was good last year)

Are these possibly the reasons?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cherries stop growing, shrivel.....

Oh- this tree is atleast 10 years old and is a grafted rainier, and probably bing (here when I bought the house).
In addition, I have a stella right beside it that is about 4 years old.

o
RE: cherries stop growing, shrivel.....

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, May 21, 13 at 17:01

That's easy, the cherries weren't pollinated. Both Bing and Rainier set nothing without pollination. But are good pollen for each other if you can kick the bees in gear. Stella should pollinate both so you are set there. Just need bees to kick in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here