Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2nd year trees - leave blooms

Posted by mdchambe 5 (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 16:04

Hi everyone,

I posted a while back getting some information about pruning the trees we plants as whips just last spring.

Given how little growth most of our trees put on I wasn't expecting blooms this year. However, the two peach trees and a plum tree each have a few blooms on them.

The trees are still quite small. Should I drop the blooms so the trees focus more on root development/growth or just let the blooms go?

I've included a picture of one of the peach trees so you can get an idea of its size.

Thanks, and happy spring!

This post was edited by mdchambe on Tue, May 7, 13 at 17:07

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2nd year trees - leave blooms

They'll probably fall off themselves. Young trees do that. Mrs. G

o

• Posted by campv Arizona (My Page) on
    Tue, May 7, 13 at 19:23

Mrs G is right let nature take its course. A strong wind will more than likely take care of the bloom.

o

Thank you both for your help. That's what I'll do!

o

My 2nd year Japanese plum bloomed this year and I can see now that the would-be fruitlets are turning yellow and falling off. I expect it.

For peach, last year, my 2nd year peach bloomed. I let two peaches grew and harvested them. If you can wait, you can pick off the flowers or fruitlets and let the tree establish itself. I couldn't wait!!!

Your cage is very impressive!!!

o

Thanks for the cage comment! I know we probably went a bit overboard, but oh well. This winter we wrapped the trunks in white cloth, put 2 foot tall small diameter cages around the trunks, and had the 6 foot diameter 6 foot tall cages. We figured that ought to cover sunscald, rabbits, and deer!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here