Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hand thinning apples with PC damage

Posted by sharppa 6 (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 14 at 16:06

I was a little late spraying one of my trees this year and most of the apples have one or more PC scars on them. In the past, even with a scar, I've managed to get apples that don't drop and are edible. Is there any way to differentiate an apple that will be dropped from the PC egg vs. an apple that will stay on the tree? For example, I have an apple cluster with 3 apples all with slightly different scars (some elevated, some sunken, etc.) Which apple should I save and which should I cut off to thin? I'm wondering if anyone has done experiments with figuring out the best apple to save vs. remove based upon the characteristics of the scar. Thanks.

I'm on 8 years growing apples, Asian pears, peaches, blueberries, etc. First year that fire blight has showed up. Every year is something new!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hand thinning apples with PC damage

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 30, 14 at 20:43

What pesticide are you using?

Some like imidan, have a kickback ability which means it will still kill the bugs after they are inside the fruit.

I just asked a similar question in another thread with a picture attached. No one has answered yet but you may find what you're looking for if someone does. Look for the thread with kickback death in the title

o

Thanks Bart.

I used triazicide and immunox on the apple trees. Just did my 2nd spray on Thursday morning and one maybe two weeks ago. My apples look a lot like yours in the other thread. It would be nice to guess right while thinning which ones will survive but maybe i just need to experiment myself and cut some open and look for larvae.

o

Sharppa, crescent shapes are more likely egg laying; round wounds can just be feeding bites. Also look at how deformed the apple is overall. The more deformed the further the PC got in it. Also if the wound is oozing at all its surely a bad one, thin it.

I was thinning last night so I was making those decisions. Fortunately in nearly all spots I could thin all the PC damage and not lose anything, but in a couple spots I had to make decisions. My Hudsons Golden Gem gets absolutely nailed every year, not sure why.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here