Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with my blueberry please

Posted by brenda-v none (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 16:10

My blooming, nicely developed blueberry bush started to have drying leaves and flowers.
They are in pots, filled with acidic soil, had acidic fertilizer a while ago. We had plenty of rain recently, so I didn`t water it. Soil feels damp.
No clue what`s wrong with it.
I uploaded some pics.

I would appreciate some advice

thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with my blueberry please

My only thought was that it dried out, but you say it's damp. Are you sure? Do you probe the soil with a wooden dowel or skewer or something? What is your growing medium? Zone? How long have you had the plant?

o

Hi, I had it for nearly 3 months. It's in acidic azalea compost. The garden centre recommended it. I put my finger down around around the root ball.
Now I noticed small brown spots on the normal looking leaves.:-(
Shame I really wanna save it.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Tue, May 6, 14 at 9:07

This looks like a disease to me, possibly something growing in the soil that is interfering with the roots. All of our blueberries are planted in the ground, here in Madison, Wisconsin, where I live. However, I do pay attention to posts made by people who grow them in pots. One recommended soil mix is 50% peat moss and 50% pine bark fines(shredded pine bark). The pot should have several drainage holes, and it should be slightly elevated off the floor, so it can drain well. About once a week, the pot should be overwatered, so that considerable outflow happens at the base of the pot. This is done to "flush out" any slimy bacteria, considered undesirable, that might be colonizing the lower reaches of the pot. Some growers overwater every time they water, some people do this operation once a week. I hope this helps.

o

Eric is 100% right. Compost in pots is not recommended. Mine are in pots too, and the mix is pine bark mulch and peat.

o

Thx guys. I'm gonna get some bark today. I hope it's not all lost.:-0

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here