Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have photo's of Issai kiwi?

Posted by rehabbingisgreen zone 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 16:10

I'm going to give this plant a shot and am planning for a trellis, I'd like to know exactly what to expect out of the plant. I would love to see any photo's.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have photo's of Issai kiwi?

rehab,

You can watch the video in the link below.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Kiwi from EL

o

Duplicate post.

This post was edited by tonytran on Wed, May 1, 13 at 17:46

o

Thank you! Did watch it. Trying to figure out if I can do a trellis type structure, I don't want the one I see so much that is shaped like a clothes line.

o

I live in zone 5 too, had one a couple years ago, first it almost died because I had it in full sun then I shaded it and I grew like crazy the second half of summer. then it didn't survive its first winter; granted mine was in a 15g pot and not in the ground (I had moved it to a protected corner where my house met my garage). you might have more luck since yours would be in ground but you want to consider putting in somewhat cold protected spot in zone 5

o

Thank you mdo003,
I will keep the location in mind when i plant. I have got to get it in the ground pretty soon. We've been waiting for the tree guy to some back and finish removing a tree so I can have that area.

o

No one has a photo of theirs?

o

• Posted by axier Z9 Basque C. (Spain) (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 13:04

My Issai (the coin is 1 euro). An excellent tasting kiwi:
Issai photo IMG_0757b.jpg

A. arguta ¿

o

Mine is in full sun and is doing good. I do have about 5 inches of mulch around the roots though. I am in zone 4ish, and it died down to the snow this winter. It was its first year, and the nursery it was grown in is from southern ontario - im further north by far then them. I wont know exactly how hardy it is until it has growth from this year. I will be protecting it with a deep mulch and wrapping the vine in an old sheet. From what ive read you basically treat them like grapes...

o

• Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 23:49

rehabingisgreen,there are better selections for your zone! I also have an issai and it dies to the ground every winter. I also have it in a protected spot on the warm side of my house. I have many many arguta and kolomikta varieties and the issai is by far the least hardy. It has like 3 or 4 flowers on it this year.....that's it.
If you are growing it on a trellis or pergola for decoration as well as fruit, get a male and female kolomikta......trust me!
GLENN

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here