Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats wrong with my Rhubarb?

Posted by sally_grower (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 16:11

My rhubarb is declining and I don't know why. Last year I noticed that one plant was small with weak little stems and this year it's even worse. Last year I put 10-10-10 fertilizer on it to try to help, I hope I didn't make it worse. Does Rhubarb have a life expectency? It's been in the same spot for probably 30 years. The one beside it seems OK, not great, but much smaller than it usually is
Any advice is greatly appeciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats wrong with my Rhubarb?

Sally, believe it or not rhubarb likes to be fed, it thrives on humus, manure, compost. It should be dug and divided every few years to keep fewer larger plants that produce thicker stalks. Rhubarb tends to proliferate into smaller, weaker plants over time. Take your shovel and "trim" off some of the smaller plants around the edges, then surround it with some compost/manure/grass clippings/leaves/wood chips or something like that. You can either replant some of your trimmings, give them to friends, or throw them on your compost pile. Hope this helps. Ted

o

...that's excellent advice, also, keep any bloom stalks cut off as soon as it is apparent they are not a normal leaf stalk.

30 years is a long time. Mine came with the property 22 years ago and are still going strong, just by adding occasional compost.

I don't know if rhubarb is subject to underground damage by critters or not.

o

Where I live its too hot for rhubarb and the roots get diseased in a few years. So, while rhubarb can last forever if it gets a root disease its doomed. I don't know if your stand is weakened as Ted points out or has a disease, its one of the two.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here