Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grape growth

Posted by MrsEllis none (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 16:13

My husband and I are installing an arbor at the entrance to our vegetable garden. We wanted to plant a grape vine next to the arbor. Obviously when buying a grape vine it is quite small. We have been told that it will take years before the grape makes it up over the arbor. Is this true? I believed the vines to grow quickly. I expect it would take years to get a good stock of grapes (which we do want) but we are most eager for the full leafy grape vine look. How long will this take and how many grape vines should we plant? Thank you for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grape growth

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, May 2, 13 at 16:33

The rate of grape growth varies greatly with growing conditions, season length, and variety vigor. With good growing conditions and our long season we can easily get 8-10ft cane extension per year and could push them with water and nitrogen to double that.

For average conditions figure 8ft per year and one plant occupying about 8x10 = 80 sq ft.

o

Thank you! Is that the type of growth we should expect from a newly planted vine or one that is quite a bit more established?

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Thu, May 2, 13 at 17:41

I think fruitnut's post contained an implied invitation to give us a little more information on your climate and growing conditions.

If you plant a grape in spring of 2013 it should be able to cover a trellis in 2015 and go nuts after that. The first year will probably be just getting established.

o

I suggest planting one year bare rooted vines. You should trim the roots at planting anyway. I got 24 feet across- top and bottom wire in 11 months using Florida-bred bunch grape hybrids. What zone are you in?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here