Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tent leaf caterpillar

Posted by donnieappleseed wa (My Page) on
Sun, May 27, 12 at 16:22

One of my acquaintances has a few old (100 year old?) apple trees on a San Juan island here in the Pacific Northwest that got devastated by western tent leaf caterpillars this year.....I just saw pictures of her trees and over 50 percent of the tree is defoliated...it is awful.....apparently bt will help and the trees will be sprayed....would trichogramma wasps help as well or is that too late to apply and be effective? Does anyone have experience with this kind of devastation? Apparently the leaves will probably come back in mid-summer but could there also be another generation of caterpillars to come back then as well? all knowledge or suggestions welcome. I am also wondering if it would help to spray fish fertilizer on what leaves are there to try to increase vegetative growth....thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tent leaf caterpillar

I used to live in the west but I don't know the life cycle of your tent. I expect it amounts to one strike in a season and a defoliated tree that had been vigorous will easily withstand defoliation in spring by caterpillars. Of course, there will not be a crop this year but could be next as the trees will have plenty of time to form flower buds and store energy for next season.

The leaves should begin growing immediately after they've been defoliated and within a couple of weeks energy will begin to flow into the bank.

o
RE: tent leaf caterpillar

You can not reverse or undo the damage. BT will only work if used at the beginning of the feeding of the caterpillar. At this point all that can be done is to see that the trees are not stressed during their refolliation and production of next years fruiting buds. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here