Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonsaist

Pakistan Mulberry in zone 6

bonsaist
16 years ago

I finally proved that Pakistan mulberry can fruit in zone 6. They were grafted 2 years ago on a wild mulberry, about 4' above ground. Last year the tree suffered damage and didn't fruit, this year it only suffered minor damage.

{{gwi:101341}}

Comments (15)

• lucky_p
    16 years ago

Woo-hoo! Way to go, Bass!

Now, if you can make this a yearly occurrence, then I'll think about trying Pakistan again - for the fourth time.
    The one time mine bloomed was after a frost in early October, burned all its leaves off, then the weather warmed up, it re-leafed and bloomed and froze to the ground when November freezes arrived.

• chills71
    16 years ago

I want to see pics when the fruit reaches ripeness, and let us know how it tastes (in comp to Illinios E.)

I gave this variety careful consideration, but the lack of successful reports from people in z.6 scared me from trying it. (I guess if I can figure out grafting, maybe one day I'll take a shot at it.)

~Chills

• bonsaist
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lucky, I know you have yours on its own roots. You might want to try one grafted like you graft your persimmons up high.
    Chills, It doesn't hurt trying to grow it here. I wouldn't buy one and waste my money since it's marginal. However grafting it is well worth it.

• lucky_p
    16 years ago

I've tried it on its own roots, grafted with the union planted below ground level, and high-worked about 6-7 ft up in a M.albaXrubra hybrid - in every case, it either died out without ever fruiting, or froze back to the ground every winter.

• bonsaist
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It must be the micro climate. On the north there's a huge tree, that acts as a wind breaker which is the good thing (it also a home for many squirels ) and the tree is facing south. I had temperatures dropping to almost -3 this winter.

• villandry
    16 years ago

I am picking Pakistani mulberries right now. The fruit is very good and very easy to pick. Not as good as a Persian Mulberry but good. To be honest, I am very surprised you are growing this in PA. It is a very early mulberry and susceptible to March freezes....even here.

Bon appetit!

• lucky_p
    16 years ago

Microclimate may be the key. Most of my mulberries are in an exposed site along the western perimeter of the orchard.
    Prevailing winds typically out of the SW.

• murkwell
    16 years ago

Anybody care to share a picture of their whole tree? I'd like to see what those close-ups look like in context.

The fruits look delicious.

I don't think I've ever tasted a fresh mulberry. I love most berries (blue, black, rasp, straw, cran).

I bought some mulberry syrup from a Middle Eastern inport store, and that dampened my enthusiasm for mulberries quite a bit.

I have a Contorted Mulberry from One Green World in just this spring. I understand its fruits aren't supposed to be as tasty as Illinois, but it sounded a lot more manageable and decorative.

Is there anybody who prefers the taste of mulberries to that of a ripe blackberry?

• pitangadiego
    16 years ago

Bass,

They fruit on the new wood, like a fig, so you can prune them very severely, which will help keep the tree small if you want to add some winter protection. I prune them back to about 3-4 leaf nodes just like my figs. This tree is about 7 years old, and was about 40" tall at start of season. Pix is a couple weeks after bud break. Just finished eating the fruit this week.

{{gwi:101345}}
    {{gwi:101346}}
    {{gwi:101347}}
    {{gwi:101348}}
    {{gwi:101349}}

• murkwell
    16 years ago

Do you dormant prune them to 3-4 nodes? And do your mulberries leaf out later than your figs?

• pitangadiego
    16 years ago

Yes, dormant pruned, and they leaf out more or less about the same time as figs.

• franktank232
    16 years ago

Taste? I don't think i've had a mulberry in a long time.

• bonsaist
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I noticed that it only bears on new growth which is a good thing. I have main grafted high on a native mulberry tree.
    As far as taste, I think Illinois Everbearing tastes better in my opinion than Pakistan. IE has a nice balance of sweet and tart flavor. Birds seem to be more attracted to Pakistan, because they're the earliest to ripen in my mulberry collection, and they look like a worm to the birds.

Bass

• murkwell
    16 years ago

In the picture of the 7 year old Mulberry, it looks like it is taller than it is wide, is that right?

I've very encouraged about the size and amenability to heavy pruning, since I was getting a little worried that I may have planted my contorted mulberry too close to my house. I'd seen very conflicting accounts of how large it might get, but now I see that perhaps the reason why is that it is the difference between "can be maintained at" versus "can grow to".

Had I known, I may have planted an Illinois Everbearing instead considering how widely it is praised for its flavor. I wish I had a local source to taste some of these. After trying the syrup I'm afraid I may not like mulberries at all :( But they look so delicious!

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks