Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to Do About Spidermites on Flowering Blueberries

Posted by treehugger100 z6MD (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 16:36

Two of my blueberry bushes in pots have spider mites. The bushes are in heavy flower. Every mite killer I found is toxic to bees. What should I do? I appreciate any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to Do About Spidermites on Flowering Blueberries

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, May 10, 13 at 17:06

Oil works pretty well, better than I expected. But don't apply after fruit set. It marks the fruit, makes it dark.

The other thing you might try is a strong spray of water every day. That's what the oldtimers used.

There are very effective new miticides but they are expensive and hard to find the one cleared for fruit. If you could find the ag versions of Avid and Floramite you would get nearly season long control from one spray.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Fri, May 10, 13 at 18:14

o

Thanks. Can you recommend how I would find out what the ag version is of Avid or Floramite?

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sat, May 11, 13 at 11:43

Spider mites are nasty business once they have a foothold. I've found that prevention is really the key. Start by making sure that you don't have any bare dirt areas nearby. They love dry, hot and dusty areas. They hate moisture. Cover all bare dirt with mulch, some kind of ground cover or hardscape. Hose the undersides of the leaves with a decent spray of water -- early and often. Don't use pesticides (even organic) as you want to build up the predatory mite populations.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, May 11, 13 at 11:51

Find the ag version with the same active ingredients, abamectin and bifenazate. I was lucky to find both 10 years ago in CA. But have no clue how to find them now.

Following: Non ag version, ag version, active ingredient

Avid, Agri-Mek, abamectin
Floramite, Acramite, bifenazate

The weed growers are the experts and buy from places like below. There are many new materials out now. Might even be good organic options I'm not familiar with.

Here is a link that might be useful: miticides

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here