Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaylee33

Strawberry leaf edges turning brown-- help

jaylee33
16 years ago

Hi all!

I am new at growing strawberries so please bear with me if this is a simple question. :) I bought a healthy Ozark plant (actually 3 plants together) about a month ago and planted them in a hanging basket. It was doing just fine, and even put out a few fruits. Then, suddenly, the edges of the leaves started turning brown. Beginning in the "teeth" edges of the leaves and slowly going around the whole leaf but not really creeping inward too much, and then sometimes turning yellow where the leaf meets the stem, or around the brown area. Then I noticed, some of the young fruits and blossoms just drying up on the vine. But not all. Some of the fruit is thriving.

I have plucked the brown edged leaves off, only to have the ones that were "normal" the day before, begin the same.

I have looked at pictures of diseases and nothing really matches up to the look-- is this a water/fertilizer problem? I water regularly and add a weak solution of Peters now and then. They get plenty of sun and the weather is slightly cool lately, warming in the late afternoon. They are well drained and I have been moving them inside on cold or wet nights.

I would appreciate any help, as I have ordered a bunch of 50 strawberries to make a small patch and do not want to begin my venture with disease lurking.

Thanks! J.

Comments (4)