Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wndr1mn

Crimson passion sour cherry

wndr1mn
10 years ago

Bought a 5 foot nice looking, in bloom crimson passion sour cherry. Planted it about 2 weeks ago! Most of the buds died and most of the leaves fell off. There are a few leves on the tips that look ok. Some look like they are drying up. I watered it regularly for the first few days, and it had been cool and raining off and on. Advise please! Is this little fella doomed???

Comments (17)

• Noogy
    10 years ago

Too much water.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

It looks like wndr1mn is in Canada.

• Noogy
    10 years ago

How can you tell the difference between CJ and CP? CP has fine serrations, like a finish saw, jagged and near perfectly spaced. CJ has more of a lobed, irregularly sized 'serrations' . Make sure you're getting what you think you ordered. CJ is also more vigorous. Other than that the leaves are almost identical. The bark might be a little lighter on CP, but maybe not.

• wndr1mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am in Ottawa Ontario! I also planted a Romeo and carmine jewl and both those look great! Romeo is actuall going to produce fruit!!! (I hope) too much water hunh?!?! I thought them being new they needed extra h2o! Thanks for the advise.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Too much water for sure. I've managed to kill two "twig" CP in pots, but saved 2 others. I bought 4 because CP is known to be more temperamental. I've planted the two thriving CP in the ground on a slope, and they're doing well, but monitoring the water.

Patty S.

• treehugger101
    10 years ago

Patty - I grow in pots, too. How often would you water a 25 gallon pot with 1/2 miracle grow (don't yell) and 1/2 coconut fiber/top soil? I have 14 trees and I want to do this right. I was watering twice a week, if no rain and warm (daytime 70's - 80's). Thanks for this thread.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

The way I usually tell if a plant needs water,is to dig down about three inches with my fingers and if it doesn't feel moist,water until it comes out the bottom of the container. Brady

• wndr1mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all!

• wndr1mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello everyone. Well I spoke to my nursery dude and he got me to scrape a few spots on my crimson passion cherry. It is green and wet. He recommended leaving it till the end of July. Do you think it could still be alive if there are no leaves on it??? How long do you think it could live without leaves? It is a really good size. About 5 feet tall and trunk is 4 - 5 inches round at base. Thanks for everyone's advise!

• steve_in_los_osos
    10 years ago

Where there's green, there's hope. Make sure it has some soil moisture to carry it along and maybe give it a little light shade. Then wait.

• wndr1mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have another question!
    My carmine jewel is in a half wiskey barrel. It is 4 feet and has a thick base and has been trained to be tree form. I planted it in may and is very happy. I noticed today, it is suckering. Should I leave them there? And let it become A bush? Can a 1/2 wiskey barrel accommodate that? Or is it too small for a bush form? Advise?

• Noogy
    10 years ago

Cut it out as close to the mother, getting as much root close to mom as possible not this spring, but next, before bud break and you have a clone. I suggest the following spring as maybe there aren't sufficient roots. Voila!

• wndr1mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your advise. My crimson passion dried up and died! I had it replaced with a 6 foot Juliet!!!! It seems to taken off well. I also got a 2 foot crimson passion that also seems a bit unhappy! I am thinking this type is much more temperamental. My Romeo cherries are delicious! Only July and totally edible! Could these cherries ripen earlier in a warmer, humid zone?

• wndr1mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your advise. My crimson passion dried up and died! I had it replaced with a 6 foot Juliet!!!! It seems to taken off well. I also got a 2 foot crimson passion that also seems a bit unhappy! I am thinking this type is much more temperamental. My Romeo cherries are delicious! Only July and totally edible! Could these cherries ripen earlier in a warmer, humid zone?

• wndr1mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Omg ! I ate all my Romeo cherries! They were sooooo sweet and delicious !

This post was edited by wndr1mn on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 19:32

• felix_lill1609
    8 years ago

Hey folks,
    I would love to do some grafting on my exsisting cherries. Can anyone provide me with scion wood of "Crimson passion" and/or "Carmine jewel". I would really appreciate your effort and also compensate for shipping, etc.

Thank you very much!