Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crimson passion sour cherry

Posted by wndr1mn 5a (My Page) on
Sat, May 25, 13 at 16:45

Bought a 5 foot nice looking, in bloom crimson passion sour cherry. Planted it about 2 weeks ago! Most of the buds died and most of the leaves fell off. There are a few leves on the tips that look ok. Some look like they are drying up. I watered it regularly for the first few days, and it had been cool and raining off and on. Advise please! Is this little fella doomed???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crimson passion sour cherry

Too much water.

o

Wndr,

Where did you buy a 5' Crimson passion? I and a few others on this forum ordered this variety on line for 1'-2' sticks.

It looks like Garden Alive is a sole company/nursery that is authorized to sell this series. I'll be interested to find out where you got the tree.

o

It looks like wndr1mn is in Canada.

o

How can you tell the difference between CJ and CP? CP has fine serrations, like a finish saw, jagged and near perfectly spaced. CJ has more of a lobed, irregularly sized 'serrations' . Make sure you're getting what you think you ordered. CJ is also more vigorous. Other than that the leaves are almost identical. The bark might be a little lighter on CP, but maybe not.

o

I am in Ottawa Ontario! I also planted a Romeo and carmine jewl and both those look great! Romeo is actuall going to produce fruit!!! (I hope) too much water hunh?!?! I thought them being new they needed extra h2o! Thanks for the advise.

o

Too much water for sure. I've managed to kill two "twig" CP in pots, but saved 2 others. I bought 4 because CP is known to be more temperamental. I've planted the two thriving CP in the ground on a slope, and they're doing well, but monitoring the water.

Patty S.

o

Patty - I grow in pots, too. How often would you water a 25 gallon pot with 1/2 miracle grow (don't yell) and 1/2 coconut fiber/top soil? I have 14 trees and I want to do this right. I was watering twice a week, if no rain and warm (daytime 70's - 80's). Thanks for this thread.

o

The way I usually tell if a plant needs water,is to dig down about three inches with my fingers and if it doesn't feel moist,water until it comes out the bottom of the container. Brady

o

Thank you all!

o

Hello everyone. Well I spoke to my nursery dude and he got me to scrape a few spots on my crimson passion cherry. It is green and wet. He recommended leaving it till the end of July. Do you think it could still be alive if there are no leaves on it??? How long do you think it could live without leaves? It is a really good size. About 5 feet tall and trunk is 4 - 5 inches round at base. Thanks for everyone's advise!

o

Where there's green, there's hope. Make sure it has some soil moisture to carry it along and maybe give it a little light shade. Then wait.

o

I have another question!
My carmine jewel is in a half wiskey barrel. It is 4 feet and has a thick base and has been trained to be tree form. I planted it in may and is very happy. I noticed today, it is suckering. Should I leave them there? And let it become A bush? Can a 1/2 wiskey barrel accommodate that? Or is it too small for a bush form? Advise?

o

Cut it out as close to the mother, getting as much root close to mom as possible not this spring, but next, before bud break and you have a clone. I suggest the following spring as maybe there aren't sufficient roots. Voila!

o

Thank you everyone for your advise. My crimson passion dried up and died! I had it replaced with a 6 foot Juliet!!!! It seems to taken off well. I also got a 2 foot crimson passion that also seems a bit unhappy! I am thinking this type is much more temperamental. My Romeo cherries are delicious! Only July and totally edible! Could these cherries ripen earlier in a warmer, humid zone?

o

Thank you everyone for your advise. My crimson passion dried up and died! I had it replaced with a 6 foot Juliet!!!! It seems to taken off well. I also got a 2 foot crimson passion that also seems a bit unhappy! I am thinking this type is much more temperamental. My Romeo cherries are delicious! Only July and totally edible! Could these cherries ripen earlier in a warmer, humid zone?

o

Omg ! I ate all my Romeo cherries! They were sooooo sweet and delicious !

This post was edited by wndr1mn on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 19:32

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here