Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
deciding on peach, apple and cherry trees

Posted by SarahMarshall 6-7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 16:47

i live in western Oklahoma zone 6/7 and am wondering about some trees in particular Ranger peach tree, stella cherry tree, and a liberty apple tree? does anyone know anything about these trees or the care of them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: deciding on peach, apple and cherry trees

I have a Stella sweet cherry. Only issue may be early frost/freeze after the tree has flowered (they flower early) and rain issues around harvest time (they crack easily). Self pollinating so no need for a cross pollination.

o

thank you for that information. i actually read they are difficult to crack so I'm glad you mentioned your personal experience thank you!!

o

Sarah, Stella is an outdated variety, it was the first self-fertile variety but there have been many improved varieties since then. Its taste is considered mediocre compared to other cherry varieties. I have never grown it myself so this is only based on what I have heard. Lapins is considered the "modern replacement" for Stella, it is pretty old itself by now though. Black Gold is my favorite self-fertile cherry. It has cracked for me but does better than most varieties.

I don't know about Ranger peach tree. I have seen mixed reviews of Liberty and am not growing it but overall I would say its not a bad choice. You will need another variety to pollinate it. Of the disease resistant apples GoldRush seems to be the favorite for taste, then Williams Pride, then Enterprise, then Liberty. You may want to look at these other ones I mention to see if they are to your liking or for a pollinator.

Scott

o

I agree with Scott. I would choose Lapins over Stella, based on flavor alone. I have both. They both ripen around the same time for me. Both are self fertile.

o

Thank you Scott. is there a website where i can hear the reviews and see all of the varieties?

o

RedHaven Peach
Goldrush Apple
White Gold, Black Gold Cherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here