Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shane11_gw

ordering pawpaw trees

shane11
10 years ago

I am interested in ordering pawpaw trees from Forest Keeling nursery. They only charge $20 for each pawpaw including Peterson varieties. This price is much better than any other source I have found but I have never ordered anything from this nursery. Has anyone ordered pawpaws from them before and if so were you satisfied?

Comments (11)

• murkwell
    10 years ago

Do they ship, or are you able to pick them up in person?

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

I just got an order from them; two of Peterson's. They were about a foot tall and in 4" pots. One had broken dormancy and the top is dead now. (I shouldn't have left them outside)

I don't remember that the ones I got from One Green World a few years ago were that small.

Peterson's pawpaw are the only thing they ship.

• gonebananas_gw
    10 years ago

I got small but excellent potted Peterson pawpaw plants from both OGW and FK. Some were late in season and were fully leafed when shipped but grew just fine.

• megamav
    10 years ago

I got my NC-1, Shenandoah, Susquehanna from FK Nursery. The ladies there helped me out a lot. Really nice to work with.

The do ship more than just Peterson pawpaws.

• creekweb
    10 years ago

I have ordered Peterson pawpaw trees from FK a year ago. They send smallish potted trees that grow reasonably well. I would recommend them.

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

When I called to place my order I wanted to add a few other plants but they told me they only ship Peterson's Pawpaws. (obviously they have either changed their policy or the person I spoke with was uninformed.)

My invoice specifially states "4x4", but I did not really read it.

• organic_mescalito
    10 years ago

Shane, unless they have changed their shipping policy, they may not ship to N.C. due to a legal issue with another grower using a similar root pruning pot. East coast states are the ones affected. They wouldn't ship to me in Virginia.

• shane11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the great information. I called and talked with them yesterday and they will ship other pawpaw varieties besides Petersons and they will now ship to NC, you may want to check them again as they may now ship to VA. You are right that a couple years back they would not.

• shane11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In case you are interested Forest Keeling will ship pawpaw trees to NC and VA. I called them this morning to confirm. It seems pawpaw trees are the only trees they will ship in small quantity.

• Ivywild142
    10 years ago

I've ordered pawpaws from several places and like those from Edible Landscaping, One Green World, and England Nursery. Those I got from Forest Keeling, and Burnt Ridge were smaller, and in smaller pots. They required babying an extra year to reach the size of the others. While the price at Edible Landscaping was the highest, their size and quality was excellent. The pawpaw from England's was bare root, but it was sturdy and grew fine.

• Charlie
    10 years ago

I ordered my Shenandoah, Susquehanna from Edible Landscape Nursery or FK; I forget which one; last fall and they were delivered to Virginia and they were about 18 inches tall. Planted them; they survived the winter; and grew well during the year with no added shade. Now they are about 2 feet tall. I hope they devoted their first year energy to developing their taproot. I mulched them well, watered them weekly, and they got about 7 hours of sun per day.