Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black knot

Posted by bmjk tarheel zone 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 16:52

Have some serious black knot on my mature santa rosa plums.Tried pruneing the trees this winter after first sign,since leaves and fruit are on trees really turned serious. Seems 1 tree is worse than the other 2 . One tree has none yet.

Im sure it will soon enough.It seemed the more i disturbed the knot ,the worse it got.
I also have 35 apple trees very close in same orchard that I will soon spray for apple rust.Is there a spry on the market I should ck into. thank you, buddy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black knot

Chlorothalinal is the only compound said to help but it is more about thoroughly cutting out galls to clean tissue, right down to the wood as soon as it appears and again and again. You will likely eventually get ahead.

I manage a lot of plums at a lot of sites and it is a big maintenance expense at some of them. If you have infected wild cherries nearby you can cut them down and it may help a great deal.

o

• Posted by danzeb 7a long island (My Page) on
    Wed, May 29, 13 at 22:15

Can cutting out the galls be done at anytime or is there a specific time to do it?

o

I cut them the moment I see them. I often spray the wounds with chlorathalinil although there is no obvious benefit. Remove affected tissue from site. Make sure you cut deeply and well into healthy wood.

o

Should have mentioned that you want to do it when things are dry. OK if rains coming but wood should be dry when you cut. I'm not sure if sterilizing tools with a bleach solution between cuts is useful but I don't bother. If I was only managing a few trees I probably would.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here