Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my little peach tree

Posted by brer Zone 7 (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 16:53

I have had my tree four years. For the first three, I took off all the peaches. This year, I hoped to have a "crop." We thinned all the peaches to one every 4 inches of branch. After that, it seemed like the peaches grew twice as big in about a week.
Yesterday I noticed that they were falling off. I thought it might be squirrels or something, but when I jarred a branch, more fell off.
It's been raining on and off, and I thought I'd watered the tree, but I put the hose under there with a drizzle and let it run for a couple of hours.
I can't think of anything else to do.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my little peach tree

Trees routinely drop excess fruits. There may be no problem.

Although, in your zone, it's a bit late for that. Are you sure they're not just ripe?

o

• Posted by brer Zone 7 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 31, 12 at 20:14

No, they are still just an inch and a half in diameter.
I hope you are right about there being no problem! :)

o

Well, they call it the "June fruit drop."

o

Cut open a few drops to make sure there is no worm inside. If there is no worm it is June drop. I am assuming the tree is looking healthy, no yellow leaves etc.

If its been raining don't water it, you don't want to drown the roots.

Scott

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Thu, May 31, 12 at 23:16

Brer,

One fruit every 4" is a little too close for peaches. A lot of folks thin to one every 10" or 8". I thin to one every 12".

That said, I'd be surprised if your fruits are dropping via June drop. June drop is normal for unthinned fruit but I've never seen June drop on anything I've thinned, but again I space fruits farther than 4".

As Scott suggests, you may want to cut open some of the drops to make sure there are not internal feeders causing the drops.

Lastly, it isn't necessary to remove fruit on young peach trees. If the tree is in a good location and healthy, early fruiting won't slow it down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here