Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fall injury leading to bark splits now

Posted by windfall_rob vt4 (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 16:56

I have a honeycrisp that is around 4-5" in diameter, still smooth barked on the trunk.
Last fall we had several visits from a bear. Broke some smaller branches, many small claw punctures in the bark on trunk, and some longer vertical gouges of 1-2"

just today I noticed that the tree has developed long splits extending vertically from those longer cuts. They look like expansion splits from cambium with the surface torn open maybe 1/16"-1/8".
I am positive they were not there in fall and virtually certain they were not present at winters end (freeze damage)...I really think they are new within the past weeks
We have had the heavy prolonged rain that many have and I am wondering if this could be a contributing factor.

It's not something I am worried about, I think the tree will heal fine from the damage, but it is a new one to me...is it merely a tree growing vigorously enough that it split at a point of weakness, or is something more involved at play?

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here