Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two disease questions

Posted by sharppa z6/PA (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 16:58

Is this fire blight on my asian pear? And if so, do I need to remove the whole branch or can I remove that one black blossom spot? I have about 10 on the tree unfortunately.

From plants

And does anyone know what disease this looks like on an apple tree? This tree has four varieties grafted but only one shows this issue.

From plants

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two disease questions

Fire blight makes the leaves turn black and looks like a shepphard's hook. Cut several inches below the site with clean pruners. Do not compost the cuttings.

Here is a link that might be useful: My trees and garden

o

looks like freeze damage on the apple

o

Looks like apple mosaic virus, there is a thread going on that now (dangers of exchanging scions thread). I have some similar stuff going on on one graft. My guess of what is going on is you grafted multiple varieties and one had mosaic and the other was sensitive to it.

The pear is hard to see anything on but some dead wood from last year. I don't see any dead this-years growth so it doesn't look like fireblight. Unless it got blighted last year. Cut em out for good measure.

Scott

o

Below are some more pictures if they are useful. The Asian Pear damage is new growth this year. Like most of us in the east, all these trees leafed out way too early. We only got a few 30 degree nights after the warm March so I don't think it's frost damage.

The apple variety on the 4:1 tree was fine for several years and just last year had the problem for the entire summer. I may have sprayed once with Bonide and once with copper last year but I don't have records and don't spray much. I had apples last year on this one variety while the rest of the tree is healthy. Maybe it is mosaic virus.

From plants

From plants

From plants

From plants

From plants

From plants

and my awesome dog...

From plants

o

Hard to tell for sure on that pear, the damage happened awhile back and its out of focus. Just cut them off and declare victory. Thats all I ever do for fire blighted blooms anyway -- most of the time thats the end of it.

Scott

o

Love your dog!

o

Agreed, nice looking pup

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here