Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low chill Peach pit trade

Posted by LuckyDurazno 9 (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 14 at 17:03

I'm looking for low chill peach seeds or pits under 300 Chilling hours, like babcock, red baron,Mid-pride, desert gold, evas' pride etc, also heirloom varieties even if they are not low chill. Does any one have any to trade or give.
I'll pay the shipping. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low chill Peach pit trade

Planting pits instead of grafted fruit trees is almost always a mistake. There is a 99% chance the resulting fruit from that tree will be a dud. Why do you want to do this?

o

I'm doing it as an experiment. Every one says that it's not worth it, that very few will be any good, but most of them have not tried it, they just go by what others tell them or what they have heard.
I want to do it myself and find out for sure.

o

The problem is that it could not be true to cultivar. Peaches can even be polinated by an almond. Waiting 5 years to discover you have a dud just isn't worth it.

o

Great, I might get a Juicy peach with almonds inside! :)
The best of both worlds!

o

You can buy Peach-Almond hybrids, Titan, Reliance etc.

o

I am currently tossing infected pits from brown rot into the garbage. I doubt you want those. I don't even know what kind of peach I own. It was here. It's a cling, yellow flesh, juicy and delicious! But, like everyone says...... Pits are the pits!

Suzi

o

Lots of naysayers here.....

I've never tired myself but I have seen reports of people planting peach seeds and having good fruit relatively quickly. You can probably search and find on this forum.

I have a 3 in 1 , May Pride, Mid-Pride, Desert Gold

All taste great... give me a mailing address and I can send some pits...

o

I'm just trying to give a realistic view, but it would be fun to do all the same. I still would want some named cultivars to make sure I get decent fruit. I have an Indian Free, it is not self fertile, so it for sure cannot come out true, but the hybrid might be some amazing new cultivar. I have a Spice Zee Nectaplum, Arctic Glow nectarine, and Lucky 13 peach. One of them would have to be the pollen parent.
I myself do like growing things from seed, so yeah why not, just don't expect it to be true, but it may be even better too, always a chance. It's a lot of time to invest, but as long as you don't expect much, you have nothing to lose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here