Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dannierose

Ack! Spiders in my Strawberry Plants!

dannierose
9 years ago

So I've been super busy with work and I also got sick and wasn't able to check on my strawberry plants for like a week (my mom watered them for me) and when I went to check on them today, there were little spiders and flying bugs all over them! I was horrified and didn't really know what to do, so I put on my gloves and removed them. There were actually only two or three little spiders from what I saw. They kinda looked like grand-daddy long legs but smaller and their body was kinda a light brown with white. The tiny flying bugs looked kinda like gnats but they were teeny tiny. The leaves of the plants also had what looked like to me white stuff on them...kinda like pollen but not? There were some dead leaves which I removed and I found like 3 dead berries and then about 5 berries that looked alright but their stems were dark brown so I just removed them.
So I obviously don't want this to happen again lol So what can I do to prevent this from happening? I know that there's pesticides out there but I'm gonna be eating these strawberries (hopefully lol) so I don't want to like poison myself lol Also, this is my first year growing strawberries so I'm kinda a newbie to this. They're in containers and they've been doing quite well despite this spider problem.
Any advice is appreciated! :)

Comments (5)