Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
berry soil ?

Posted by berry_Bob 5 se,SD (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 17:09

I have a spot in my garden I want to raise raspberries and strawberries " but " it had tomatoes ,peppers and taters there within the last year . If I put in raised beds with new soil will this work ? I know they say to wait 3 years but I want to put that LOL
Thanks
Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: berry soil ?

Who says to wait 3 years? I think this sounds just fine to me. Amend with some nice compost and you should fine. But, I would warn you - I would NOT plant raspberries in the ground. They are notorious for suckering, and after a few years, you're going to have raspberries sprouting up everywhere. You're much better off putting them in pots, and placing the pot slightly elevated (with pot feet) on a large concrete paver.

Patty S.

o

I simply pull suckers out of the ground.

o

The berries are in a different plant family, so I don't think that will matter. However, strawberries need a bit more water than raspberries, so you may want to keep them in separate sections.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing strawberries

o

Thank You for the replies , the suckers are just fine . if they grow where I don't want them I will just mow or till

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here