Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berry_bob

berry soil ?

berry_bob
11 years ago

I have a spot in my garden I want to raise raspberries and strawberries " but " it had tomatoes ,peppers and taters there within the last year . If I put in raised beds with new soil will this work ? I know they say to wait 3 years but I want to put that LOL

Thanks

Bob

Comments (4)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Who says to wait 3 years? I think this sounds just fine to me. Amend with some nice compost and you should fine. But, I would warn you - I would NOT plant raspberries in the ground. They are notorious for suckering, and after a few years, you're going to have raspberries sprouting up everywhere. You're much better off putting them in pots, and placing the pot slightly elevated (with pot feet) on a large concrete paver.

Patty S.

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

I simply pull suckers out of the ground.

• lgteacher
    11 years ago

The berries are in a different plant family, so I don't think that will matter. However, strawberries need a bit more water than raspberries, so you may want to keep them in separate sections.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing strawberries

• berry_bob
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank You for the replies , the suckers are just fine . if they grow where I don't want them I will just mow or till