Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does my pear tree has fireblight?

Posted by Glumbda California (My Page) on
Mon, May 13, 13 at 17:11

I have a very old pear tree. I notice that a few branches are blackened and leaves are dead. Does anybody know if this is fireblight? Can this pear tree still be saved?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does my pear tree has fireblight?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, May 13, 13 at 18:35

It could be fire blight but it's hard to tell from one picture. If it's really old it's probably not about to die.

Is that potential strike on current season growth or from last year? Can you see any cankers?

o

I don't know if the strike is from this year or last year. I only noticed it now. I didn't see obvious cankers. Here is another photo.

o

Glumbda... Your pictures are all shaded so it's hard to get good resolution on how it really looks. I have two trees that have sooty looking branches but not the leaf end soot or any curlying at the end. Does you branch bark look like this?

This is a small Honeycrisp:

Honeycrisp Apple photo Swans018_zps883f83e1.jpg

This is a branch on a 5 yr old Haralson:

photo Swans009_zps370d5f13.jpg

Haralson Apple photo Swans008_zps04b9edae.jpg

I don't know what these trees have either. My guess is the little Honeycrisp is toast and I should probably pull it now. I would like to try to save the Haralson, but I'm not sure how to do it.
It may be different than your issue because it is more on the branches than the tips of the branches. The leaves still aren't out yet in our area. Any ideas out there?

o

That looks like fire blight to me. I'd prune it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here