Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strawberries not fruiting - musk and wild

Posted by birdgardner NJ/ 6b (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 17:13

Figured out the musk strawberry problem - no male. They're growing really well - survived being ripped out twice because they weren't yielding at all. Why didn't Raintree figure out the male problem and sell male plants twelve years ago? After I buy some males, how do you tell the male from the female plants?

The wild strawberries I assume are F. virginiana - I collected them from a local field, where they do fruit but very sparsely. They've spread very well, they're healthy, they have lots of flowers but like the musk strawberries, the fruits never develop. They're growing under a row of pines with open exposure to the south, so they should have enough sun.

Wild strawberries don't need a male do they? Or have I just taken a poorly yielding strain? Any recommendations on a good strain?

What drives me crazy is that the yellow-flowered Indian strawberries (Pontentilla indica, non-edible) flourish and bear like mad. Happy birds, unhappy gardener.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strawberries not fruiting - musk and wild

Male musk strawberry plants looks exactly like the female plants, but the blossoms will have many more pollen-bearing stamens and very little to none of the central "cone" that will develop into a berry.

If you have wild collected Fragaria virginiana, you could indeed have a strain that has separate male and female plants. There is a huge amount of variation in this species group across its range. Even some clones that have perfect (i.e., with both fertile male and female parts) flowers are self-incompatible, meaning there would need to be at least one other clone present to successfully bear fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here