Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to transplant Raspberry suckers?

Posted by Drew51 6a SE MI (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 17:13

SSIA. I have some open spaces in a raspberry bed, and crowded in other spots. I would like to even things out. But not sure when to move them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to transplant Raspberry suckers?

here in Brooklyn NY i did this today after work, sizes of the suckers ranged from 12 inches to 6 inches, basically bare rooted em, done this is the past without too much effort.

o

So they were growing or dormant? I have new ones (suckers, or runners, whatever), and wondered if it was OK to move them. I suppose I will stunt growth a bit. But it probably needs to be done now, thanks!

o

these were runners/suckers that are new this spring that popped up several feet from the patch, it does stunt a bit, however I give the transplants a little extra tlc for a week. These things pretty much grow themselves ;p

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Tue, May 7, 13 at 21:42

I have moved raspberries this time of year, successfully, here in Madison, Wisconsin. The rate of success is 100%, to my recollection. You can't say they are dormant, because there will always be a leaf or two beginning to emerge. Raspberries grow like weeds in our yard.

o

• Posted by cckw none (My Page) on
    Tue, May 7, 13 at 22:55

Dig a larger area around it then kinda break up the ground and work the plant and it's root free. After you relocate it water it alot, like some water every hour and give it shade. I mostly move them to pots to share with friends. So they get good potting soil and total shade. I also clip off some of the larger leaves. They look really wilted very easily, but don't despair, just add water.

o

Thanks very much everybody!

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Wed, May 8, 13 at 16:10

I forgot to add, if possible and practical, do your transplanting in the late afternoon or evening, and at the beginning of an overcast and damp weather cycle. Ideally, it would be best to have three days of overcast weather, light rain, no wind, immediately after transplant. That condition will eliminate wilting, & keep the raspberry plant well hydrated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here