Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
preppystud

jack fruit seed is germinating. what to do.

preppystud
10 years ago

they can grow really big, i don't have that kind of place. and i am in southern california, is the weather suitable for it to grow?

should i destroy it or keep it in a pot?

Comments (5)

• dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
    10 years ago

I had a few seedlings, they will die in the winter in Northern California. I don't think they'll live in SoCal either.

• mamuang_gw
    10 years ago

Jackfruit likes heat and humid. I think CA is too cold and dry for it, even indoors.

You are right about its size. A tree can grow very large (wide and tall) and lives many decades. I've seen some in a big city with polluted air, growing on a small patch of dirt with concrete sidewalks all around them. They still survive well, a tough tree with delicious fruit. I would grow it if I could.

• steve_in_los_osos
    10 years ago

I have read elsewhere that there are surviving and fruiting trees in the San Diego area.

As with many other species, cold tolerance improves with size and age and so protection is most important when the plant is small and young. Wet feet are not welcome.

I have several seedlings in an unheated greenhouse here on the Central Coast. I'm going to see how many will make it through next Winter (I use C9 Christmas lights when the temps drop below 40F). Then I'll go from there.

Yes, they can get large, but are unlikely to do so without favorable conditions. I've read that Florida nurseries fruit them in 7 gal containers. If you have the time and the inclination, why not give it a try?

• mamuang_gw
    10 years ago

Steve,

Once you get your jack fruit tree going, could you please post pictures? I'd love to see a jackfruit tree outside tropical countries.

Maybe, there are some varieties that tolerate colder climate better than others.

I am working on keeping pomegranate alive for now. It has a better chance to survive in my zone than a jackfruit.

• steve_in_los_osos
    10 years ago

A fellow member of the California Rare Fruit Growers in this area is always reminding me that people just assume what they've been told and so never try. His MO is to plant a lot of seeds and let the prevailing climate conditions (within reason) select those which are hardier. After all, it is the genetic crapshoot of seedlings which frequently leads to new varieties.

Of the four or five (still waiting for one to break the surface!) jackfruit seedlings I have, there is already clearly a lot of variation in growth rate, leaf size, etc.

I actually think the one jackfruit sample I had (the source of the seeds) was sort of disgusting as far as mouth-feel, but I do love the aroma. So this is a lark. Maybe I'll get lucky :-)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting