Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
berry bushes needing some suggestions

Posted by krista1015 none (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 17:21

If anyone has any good ideas - please let me know. We just bought a small berry orchard in Alberta, and the owners before us really let it go over the last few years. In the bushes (saskatoons, raspberries, cherries) the grass has almost over run the rows, and I am finding it very hard to get rid of it, without wrecking the fruit bushes. I don't want to use any herbicides, so any other suggestions would be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: berry bushes needing some suggestions

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Thu, May 2, 13 at 21:05

If you are patient, I suppose that goats could be used to graze the grasses back under control. Maybe you could smother the grass with used carpeting-though I can't imagine what an entire orchard would look like covered with carpet.

o

You would likely need to keep a close watch on goats in a berry patch. Goats are naturally browsers, and prefer twigs and brambles to grass.

Between the rows, some sort of weed barrier might work, especially if it was put down after a tilling. A thick mulch could do the same too. However if the grass has spread to in and around the berries themselves, it will be a much harder job. Hand weeding and mulches perhaps.

o

Goats prefer berries to grass so scratch that idea...
How large is the orchard? Pics?
I'm also thinking you may want to consider a weed barrier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here