Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I plant a grape vine right now?

Posted by silent88 OC, So. California (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 12 at 17:22

Hi everyone,

I have 3 grape vines and I wanted to plant another one. I was just wondering if it is too late in the season to start one and hope it grows the 5 feet height I need it to get before winter to start training it. :) Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I plant a grape vine right now?

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 17, 12 at 20:47

Are they in pots or in the ground or bare root?
In pots you can plant anytime, but fall is best time to plant.
If they are in the ground, you need to root prune now & dig in the fall.This is best , but you can dig now & keep them watered.

o

I will buy ones that are in pots and have already started coming out :p think it would grow to be tall enough?

o

Don't worry about tall, plant it now. If it doesn't get tall enough chop off and start again next year -- you will still be ahead since the roots will be well established this year and it will take off vigorously next spring.

Jolj is in SC where its sizzling hot in the summer. For that climate you don't want to plant now since it could fry the plant. For you it should be OK.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here