Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edweather

My Kabluey went kafluey

Looks like the harsh winter did my container Kabluey blueberry bush in. Supposedly zone hearty here in Z5, but being in a container adds a zone, plus the harsh winter, might have done it in. My other bushes are swelling buds and showing some leaves and blossoms, but the Kabluey.....not much. One small branch might still be alive, but not sure it's worth saving. Dang, it kind of ticks me off because it was going to have a nice amount of fruit this year after growing like mad last year. Oh well, on the plus side, less watering, and I can use the container for a Patriot that I need to pot up.

Comments (7)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Just the name always sounded like an accident waiting to happen. Maybe such names attract some growers. Makes me leery.

It was a rough winter. Hope things improve in your country.

• Noogy
    9 years ago

Ed,
    They should've overwintered fine if there was enough sow cover.
    Even so, my potted Elliots, Jersey, Patriots and Dukes did great and they are in big 7 gal containers. Our low was -18. They went into the winter with a good amount of root moisture. and were blocked from N and W winds. They were on the S side of a pole barn.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I wanted one of those, but so far our state is not allowing that cultivar. The state seems to want a lot of info. Recently a bunch that were restricted are now allowed, Cara's Choice, Sweetheart, and Hanna's Choice. I just bought Cara's Choice. Interested in Sweetheart too.

The names don't mean anything to me, sure they are gimmics, the Niwot cultivar which is the first primocane fruiting black raspberry was called Sweet Repeat. The name has no reflection, I talked to the breeder. And Niwot is an awesome plant! Nourse is now selling it as "Niwot"
    Henry Fields obviously didn't like the the name!
    I researched Kabluey and it sounds like a decent plant for sure.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm stumped. This thing is big and totally dead. I'm a meteorologist by trade. We had big snowpack this year and last. It was in a nice big container. The other 3 that were outside came through with flying colors....Bluecrop, Blueray, and Patriot. The Patriot was in a 5 gal bucket. The only thing I can offer is that actually the Kabluey is a cross between a NHB and SHB. It might not be as hearty as the others. I have all the info on the creation of Kabluey if anyone is interested.

• northwoodswis4
    9 years ago

I have several Kablueys. They don't seem to be as hardy as my other varieties. The bushes have grown fine, but they have only produced a few berries and after mild winters. They might be great farther south. Northwoodswis

• franktank232
    9 years ago

I'll have to keep this all in mind. I have 2 of them in pots. No way will they survive even in the garage. Wonder what the min temp is on them? 0F?

• jtburton
    9 years ago

I have two planted Ka-bluey (3yr. old) and they went through -7F last winter and look fine. They are half way through blooming now and have berries forming. Sound's like they might not be hardy enough in pots in your climate. I'm trying the same thing though with Sweetcrisps in my climate and I can't leave them in pots outside or they would die. I think I'm going to just plant the Sweetcrisps and see what happens this winter.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County