Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I safely spray cayenne soap deterrent on leaves?

Posted by otherchuck none (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 12 at 17:29

Greetings,

Although I have only just started planting my orchard of peach, pear, plum, apricot, lemon, avocado, and nectarine trees, I know that I will be having a problem with 4-legged pests. With that in mind, we have fenced the whole area off with three-wire barbed wire, which really only deters cattle. There is deer-proof fencing around each tree. There are solid gopher cages at the base of each tree. I suspect the biggest threat now will be the robust community of California ground squirrels that live in the exact area where my orchard is.

Although I don't have high hopes for those homemade pepper spray concoctions (some of which recommend putting a bit of Murphy's oil soap in the mix) , I think we'll give that a try. My question is, can I spray that on the leaves, or does it hurt the foliage (partic young, sensitive foliage)? Can I spray it on the fruit (assuming, of course, that I will be washing the fruit before eating)? Any particularly effective recipes that someone would like to recommend wold also be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I safely spray cayenne soap deterrent on leaves?

"I don't have high hopes for those homemade pepper spray concoctions"

The best thing for you to do is go down to Walmart or where ever to buy what is recommended. Where you are headed now is to burn off all the leaves from your trees. When homeowners begin to experiment with homemade applications they are satisfying a part of their psychology more than taking care of a particular pest or fungus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here