Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to kill a wild grape vine, anyone??

Posted by crabjoe z7 MD (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 07 at 17:32

Folks, I've got a wild grape vine at the back of my property that I can't seem to get rid of.

When I 1st saw it, I thought it was fine where it was being it could pollinate my table grapes, but last year I felt it needed to go. This wild vine was just killing the trees it was climbing.

I hit the vines the best I could with Roundup, then when I saw the leave start to shrivel, I cut the vines at the base. When they came back, I hit it with Weed-B-Gon and all seemed good. Well, it seems good until a few weeks ago. These dang wild grape vines are back!

So, now, what should I do?? Should I just hit them with Roundup or Weed-B-Gon again to keep at them for a few years or is there an easier way?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to kill a wild grape vine, anyone??

crabjoe:

Hit them until they die. There is no easier way.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o

One recipe I have heard is cut to ground and slather 100% strength 2,4-D or similar on the fresh wound. I am in the process of killing a couple dozen wild grapevines myself this spring and I mainly just keep pruning them back to nothing over and over, plus spraying Roundup on the more persistent ones.

Scott

o

I would switch from Weed Be Gone to Brush be Gone, and just keep at it until it does not come back. Al

o

2,4-D is really deadly to grapes, so if you have cultivated grapes nearby that you do not want to kill, be very careful with regard to drift from the spray. Scott's method will definitely do the job, and should only require doing it once.

o

We have one, too. I personally really like the greenery it adds to our property that has no trees. However, the original root of this thing came up directly under/behind our Central AC unit at the back corner of the house. We can't get in there to dig to dig or cut, but I will try the 2,4D and/or the Brush Be Gone. It is pretty close to my ornamental grass garden, so I will have to watch that drift. Thanks for the tips, guys!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here