Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msandra_gw

Apple side branches (w/ pic) and bugs

msandra
15 years ago

Hi , My mother has an apple tree which she has pruned it to 4 main branches last fall. The problem is There was not much growth in the main frame and this year. i only see 4 baby apple. However there are rigorous growth in the side and from the other chunk that she chopped off (as seen in the photo). I heard the suckers are getting most of the nutrients so I cut all side branches but it still comes back. does anyone know how to prevent the growth not from the main frame?

thanks

{{gwi:101954}}

{{gwi:101956}}

Comments (5)

• applenut_gw
    15 years ago

Your tree seems to be suffering from a bad case of aerial burr knots, the tree trying to sprout roots in the air. This is common on some rootstocks, which makes me suspect that the scion of this tree died out and possibly what you're seeing is the rootstock sprouting.

When a scion is grafted onto this type of rootstock, it is planted deep so that only 2" of the rootstock is above the ground, minimizing the habit you see here. I'd either graft something onto one of the suckers on the ground and cut the rest of it off, or yank it out entirely and plant a civilized apple tree.

• jellyman
    15 years ago

Msandra:

Agree with Applenut. Get rid of that tree and start over. There is nothing there to save. He may well be correct that what you have is rootstock growth. In any case, an apple tree that suckers heavily will continue to do so.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

• msandra
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Don and applenut,

thanks for the reply. It is quite sad to heard that we need to start over coz this tree supposed to be a 10 year old tree. One thing i would also like to mention is , even there are sprouts from the root of this apple tree. Does it support it is a crafted apple tree? How do i know it is crafted or not?

I still have some questions.
    I remembered my mum told me she has copped it down because it doesnt grow nicely and wanted to start over.

So it is my guess:
    1. the main branch we are seeing now is the rootstock branch?
    2. I saw some apples waiting for mature in one of the branch. Does it mean the rootstock is also an apple tree?

your advice is appreciated.
    {{gwi:101958}}

• olpea
    15 years ago

Msandra,

Yes it is likely you are growing a rootstock variety. The rootstock variety will be apple, but will likely be low quality. I had a neighbor who had problems with aerial burr knots. It was a constant struggle for him to keep borers out of the burr knots. He finally cut it down. As mentioned, you can graft one of the suckers to a known variety, then you wouldn't have to completely start over. Grafting is not that hard, but you'll likely have to wait till next spring. This forum is an excellent place to ask for scionwood of your favorite cultivar. Your other option is to plant a new tree, with probably about a four year wait till fruiting.

• msandra
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks. Although it is quite disappointed to know the truth, it is good to know the cause otherwise we may continue wondering why there is so few fruits and so many branches/suckers. As a beginner in gardening, i just experiment how to propagate rose and hydrangea and my experiments are still not successful. Grafting sounds more advance to me but I would try it later when my propagation technique becomes better..

btw If anyone from San leandro, Ca would like to give away some rose cutting for free, please contact me. Thanks again.