Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this fireblight on this quince tree?

Posted by dan8 Stockton, CA Zone 9 (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 17:33

Started out as a sucker from my dad's friends. Bloomed beautifully for the first year this year. The leaves were coming out very nicely this year and suddenly they all turned brown and crisp! I don't think lack of watering is a problem here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this fireblight on this quince tree?

Its hard to tell from the photo(maybe closer would be better) but the leaves are not black. Fireblight usually starts at the tips of a branch then works it way down. The tip is bent like a shepards hook and the stem and leaves are black.
Ck your water. What kind of water system do you have? Did some one spray weed spray near by? Is that plastic over the roots?
Did you use fertilizer? Stockton can get pretty hot. Though I don't think it is weather related.

o

Consider verticillium or similar diseases as a cause of the individual branch die-off.

o

• Posted by dan8 Stockton, CA Zone 9 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 17:58

Hey there, here's a closer up picture. The plastic was only there for a couple of days. It is adequately watered with a garden hose, and no weed spray or fertilizer has been used. I'm actually starting to think it's weather related because it really is just that hot in Stockton right now. Though, I've never experience die back in any tree like this before.

o

OK, after a little research I believe it is Verticillum Wilt. Whew. Not canker. Mrs. G

o

Gee, I would say fireblight. Quince doesn't turn black like pears. Its also super-susceptible and is why my quince are now rootstocks. Note the "crook" on a few of those tips... a classic sign due to the sudden dieback.

I would say 80% probability of FB but it could be something else.

I would prune it all out to remove any spores left on the dead bits.

Scott

o

• Posted by dan8 Stockton, CA Zone 9 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 17:09

hmmm.. After looking up Vertiillum wilt, it does appear to have the same symptoms. I've just cut back all of the burnt leaves and hopefully it will return to normal. Thanks for all of the feedback

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here