Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question About Strawberries

Posted by BrandyCTodd 9 (fairiebugg@yahoo.com) on
Thu, May 17, 12 at 17:33

This may have been asked/answered, sorry if I'm repeating. I was wondering if you can stick a strawberry in soil and grow from there or if there's something in that process that inhibits growth. I have some strawberries from the grocery store that have started mushifying so I thought I'd give the plant a strawberry a go. I may try it just as an experiment but I was wondering if anyone knew anything definitive.

Thanx,
Brandy

(I'm also wondering the same about blackberries/raspberries.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question About Strawberries

It's possible it could work, though the fruits you name don't typically grow from seeds because they are so good at vegetative propagation. Strawberries send out baby plants all over the place, and raspberries and blackberries send up new shoots from root buds like crazy. Starting with seed will be iffy and very, very slow. Instead, buy yourself a pot of everbearing strawberries at a garden center and propagate the babies. It will be much more fun!

o

You probably won't get runners and babies from ever bearing strawberries. If you want to play with starting them, get June bearing. Yes, they can be started from seed, because strawberries sometimes come up in my flower beds and I had a large strawberry patch, but I wouldn't hold my breath with a mushy store berry. Won't hurt to try it, however just for a lark.

o

No ever-bearing strawberries grow using clump separation. Easier than rooting runners I hear:-) I dont know if its ever-bearing per say or just alpines that are clump perennials but I do know that one of them does not produce runners.

About seed grown strawberries. So far it has been a trying experience. Of the 30 seeds I planted about 1 month ago 10 have come up and died, 2 have stayed alive and 2 more are now just coming up. If I get one full plant Ill be happy. This was my first time so Im sure with practice it gets easier but it was WAAAAY easier to go buy a couple plants for $3...Lol I am excited about getting my alpines from seed though. Fingers crossed. Hey plant your strawberries and see what happens. What have you got to lose? Plant them in a pot.

o

Thank you all for responding. I love this place, I ask a question and I always get a helpful response, that's so nice. I did go ahead and plant them, in the plastic container they came in, figured it may make a sort of mini greenhouse. I hope it works but won't hold my breath. Thanx to the responses I know more about what to expect. I do have a strawberry plant that I bought at Lowe's that now has a strawberry with a nice pink color starting but I was curious about the fruit planting issue. I will try to remember to post on here if anything comes of my experiment. Thank you again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here