Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red leaves on apricot

Posted by c5tiger 8 SC (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 17:34

The new growth on my 2 year old goldkist apricot is red, leaves and limbs. Some of the growth is over a foot long but the leaves are not turning green. I did a search and the closest I could come up with was severe nitrogen deficiency. I gave it nitrogen earlier this year and again yesterday. All my other trees in the same area look fine and I don't think this is my problem. After I planted it last year it bloomed profusely but this year only 4 blooms, it just does not seem healthy. The first growth spurt this year looked good with nice green leaves that are still green, everything since then is red. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red leaves on apricot

tiger:

New growth on apricot is often a beautiful red. After a bit the leaves turn green and the stem green then reddish brown. They are one of the most decorative fruit trees. So it's entirely possible that nothing is wrong.

If you still think otherwise post a picture.

o

My new growth has always started red but quickly turn green. I have full sized leaves that have had a reddish tint for over a month.

o

pictures

IMAG0401

IMAG0398

o

Well your tree doesn't look too good, but you knew that. I'm not sure what's wrong. It does look somewhat like a nitrogen deficient tree looks like but I don't think that is the only problem. It should be a lot fuller with growth, new shoots, and leaves. The grass and weeds don't look good either. Is it dry? Have you had the soil tested? Do you have the tree mulched? It looks to be fighting those weeds for water and fertility.

o

It has been dry but I have been watering the tree regularly. The pluot next to it is dark green and is growing very fast and I don't give it much fertilizer. Soil should be fine but could be on the acidic side.

o

Too acid could be the issue. A soil test might be in order.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here