Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monterey Fungii Fighter-Spray fruit or leaves?

Posted by ramble 6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 17:34

Can I just spray the fruit and not the leaves? (I have dwarfs so I can easily do it). Or must I also spray the leaves?

Spraying for Brown Rot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monterey Fungii Fighter-Spray fruit or leaves?

What fruit tree are you spraying?

o

Spraying Japanese plums and sweet cherries.

o

I would imagine spraying the fruits is all you would need. The last spray of permethrin, i mixed up a small handheld bottle and hand sprayed each individual fruit (took a long time).

o

Brown rot can infect twigs and shoot tips. You can see if its on shoots by noticing oozing spots. On shoot tips they get slimy and eventually die. These two forms seem to arise for me only if I have a lot of brown rot spores around. So, I would spray everything if you had a serious outbreak in the last year, and if not you are probably OK with just hitting the fruit.

Scott

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Sat, May 19, 12 at 22:32

You can just spray the fruit if you want. As far as propiconazole goes, spraying the fruit is all that is needed to protect fruit against BR.

It is effective against mildew and cherry leaf spot, and as Scott mentioned, may have some efficacy against BR on shoots, so you wouldn't get those benefits if you just sprayed the fruit.

I think the bottom line is if you just want to protect a few fruits from BR, spraying just the fruits is a fine idea.

o

Called the company. Don said I'd be better off spraying the leaves and fruit and TRUNK too, because the spores are everywhere.

But, he said I could probably just spray the fruit since Monterey Fungii Fighter is absorbed into what it's sprayed on. Meaning it is absorbed superficially, locally. So, it wouldn't circulate thru the tree once the leaves absorbed it.

Bottom-line. You guys/ladies know as much or more than they do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here