Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to make wild blueberry bush cuttings and propagate?

Posted by xenacrocker 7MD (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 08 at 17:35

Hi,
I'm so excited! My neighbor has a house in the mountains with wild blueberry bushes. She has offered to dig up some of the plants on her property to bring back for me the next time she visits the mountains. I thought it might be easier for her if she took some cuttings and I tried propagating them. But I don't know how. Could anyone tell me how to do it or point me to some resources?
Thanks,

andrea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to make wild blueberry bush cuttings and propagate?

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Wed, May 7, 08 at 17:59

Probably much better chance of getting them healthy if she digs whole plants.

In another thread on huckleberries somebody suggested using a spade to sever the roots around the plant you want to take. You con do that a month or two ahead of time to allow the plant to adjust to the lower root mass. You could then dig them up with the remaining roots intact and minimize transplant shock.

Best to move them while they are dormant.

If you take cuttings I'd expect it best to take them while dormant. There have been other posts on gardenweb on how to get cuttings to grow.

It can be as simple as dipping them in rooting hormone and sticking them in the ground outside in growing medium suitable to blueberries.

It may help to allow for some humidity and perhaps partial shade the first season while they are getting established.

I've managed to somewhat successfully get some plants goin indoors under flourescent lights using dormant cuttings from the germplasm repository in Corvallis Oregon.

o
RE: How to make wild blueberry bush cuttings and propagate?

Andrea:

Save some excitement for around January or February, when the plants are fully dormant. If you try to move blueberries now, whether they be whole plants or cuttings, they will die.

It is possible to start blueberry cuttings taken while dormant and stored in refrigeration, by dipping them in rooting hormone and planting them out in acidic soil in early spring.

But if you are a beginner, and can get whole plants, by all means take them. You will reduce the time to fruiting by several years.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here