Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesuko

Edges of new pear trees' leaves turing brown/dying

Lesuko
11 years ago

We bought 2 bare root pear trees and planted them about 1.5 months ago. We have leaves and stems growing and they appear to be healthy, however on closer look, I noticed the edges of the leaves are dying off- kinda like a vascular thing (I'm guessing). Is something eating the leaves, diseased, or possibly blight?

We have a potomac and a honeysuckle (a seckel variety).

I will try to attach a photo.- doesn't seem like i'm able to even from the preview page. only a link.

Thanks,

Leslie

Comments (11)

• milehighgirl
    11 years ago

Leslie, I noticed no one has responded so I'll give it a shot.

I remember at one time that pear rootstock did this for me. It can either be a water issue, however with the rain we've had lately I can't imagine it's too dry, or it could be fire blight. I googled "fire blight pear" and found this good site (linked below). You might want to do the same. Maybe it is fire blight, but I personally have not had any trouble with fire blight on my pears in Denver. It could just be transplant shock also.

Here's another site with pictures of early infection:
    http://www.farmcarolina.com/article/042712-HG-Darrell-Blackwelder-Column-Bradford-Pear-Trees-FC-Qcd

It would help if you could post a picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fire Blight on Pears

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Someone else from Colorado posted a similar question a few weeks ago. My response was that it was likely fireblight singeing the leaves. This is a very minor strike on a relative scale so is not so worrisome, but it means you should be watching carefully for a larger infection, and perhaps spraying copper in the early spring next year. I guess its a big year for fireblight in Colorado..

Scott

• Lesuko
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Scott and milehighgirl. I took a leaf to the local nursery and they couldn't identify it as fireblight yet. If the browning stays on the edges, I'm told it's most likely frost damage (we did have our usual late frosty nights in may). However, if it does progress and the whole leaves start to turn black, then it's FB.

The good news is that there is new growth. As we are new to fruit trees, we have no idea what to expect.
    Thanks again,
    Leslie

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Leslie, I don't agree with what the nursery told you. I have similar leaves this spring on my pears and they all formed well after frost danger had passed during a period when my apples had a lot of fireblight. In seeing many such leaves over the years I have rarely seen the firelight progress on them, there was not enough of an infection for the disease to propagate. One thing they could be correct about is there is some chance it is frost damage.

Scott

• Lesuko
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Scott,
    Our pears were supposed to be moderately resistant to fireblight. I do think you're right though. Since this was a bare root with little growth, do you know if I should pick off the leaves? It would be about 30% on one tree- i'm just worried it wont recover because there are only a few leaves to begin with: 30 or so.
    Thanks,
    Leslie

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Leslie, I usually leave those leaves on, mainly because I have too many other trees to tend to and no time to pick them off. If it is just on the tips it does not spread, it is not virulent. If it is all the way back it needs to be removed. Since you have so few leaves I would just remove any leaf that is completely browned to the base.

Scott

• malusmaven
    11 years ago

Had same problem last year- thought it was fire blight but turned out to be wind damage to tender young foliage
    MM

• Lesuko
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting. I've taken a few leaves to local nurseries and sent pics to the place I bought them from and everyone says something different. But supposedly their growth rate is strong so I'll guess I'll wait to see what happens.

Thanks everyone.

• JasonNCarolina
    11 years ago

sterilize pruners with rubbing alcohol. cut fireblight out 8-10 inches below infection. Spray the cut with copper fungicide. Nordox (organic) or kocide 3000.

To prevent fireblight spray blooms with streptomycin.

• nancy_richardsparent
    8 years ago

What can I do if my pear tree leaves are curling & turning yellow? Did I over water it? Can I spray it with water when the sun goes down?

Desperate for advice!