Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach tree has shriveled peaches

Posted by TheFoxes 8 (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 14 at 17:40

Hi. Our peach tree originally had many peaches and I thinned out the tree. Now the majority of peaches have fallen off and shriveled. Any peaches left on the tree have shriveled too. Some of the leaves have holes in them. What is causing this and is there any way to save the tree?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach tree has shriveled peaches

Brown sap towards bottom of tree

o

Maybe brown rot?

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Brown rot.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, May 3, 14 at 23:19

Frozen peaches look about like that. I should know it's about all I've seen since moving to TX in 1971.

It could also be brown rot or something similar. They all look ugly.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Sun, May 4, 14 at 11:12

The issue of the peach you are holding is internal. Notice there is no seed inside the pit, which is why it shriveled. As Fruitnut points out, freezing damage can cause this, which kills the seed, as well as PC, which can eat the seed in young fruitlets (although I don't see any larva in the peach you are holding).

Either way, it has nothing to do with shot hole in the leaves, or gummy sap from the tree.

Peach trees will naturally abort some of the smallest peaches (they shrivel and drop at about the size of the peach in your hand, or maybe a little smaller) but it should only be a small amount.

A pic of the whole tree might offer more help.

This post was edited by olpea on Sun, May 4, 14 at 11:15

o

Thanks for the information. This is our first fruit tree so we are newbies. I have included a pic of the whole tree. The peaches at the top look okay but we were concerned that a large amount of peaches fell suddenly when they looked normal 2 weeks ago. The peach tree near this one is fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here