Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many gallon pot do i need to have a dwarf peach tree?

Posted by acce (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 17:41

I moved and chose to take the tree thats been in the ground for a year. The new place i am living wont let me plant anything in the ground so i am forced to garden in pots. Whats the smallest I would need for it to eventually bear fruit?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many gallon pot do i need to have a dwarf peach tree?

Probably something about the size of a half whiskey barrel planter. Larger is better. You may have overwintering issues if you're in the colder states.

o

I've done well with sweet cherry, nectarine, apricot, and much more in 12-15 gal pots. Peach will work the same. Just make sure your mix drains very well.

This picture gives a good idea of tree size in a 15 gal pot.

Photobucket

o

What the heck is that behind the tree? A Japanese shower?

o

I shouldn't answer for someone else, apologies in advance FN, that is what is known in the greenhouse industry as "pad and fan evaporative cooling" -- what you see on this end of the greenhouse are cellulose pads that are kept moistened by a constant, light drizzle of water from above. On the other end of the greenhouse, somewhere out of the photo, is a big fan that moves the air. As the air moves over the moist pad, water evaporates, cooling the air quite a bit -- exactly how much cooling is achieved is a function of factors such as the air flow and more importantly, the dew point/humidity of the air. Pad and fan cooling is very effective in dry areas, somewhat less so in areas that are very humid/high dew point. I think it's quite common to get a reduction in temperature of about 20 degrees F.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here