Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shaping grape vines

Posted by dan8 Stockton, CA Zone 9 (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 17:42

I bought a perlette green grape bare root this winter and it has sprouted 6 strong healthy stems in all directions (left, right, up). I want to achieve the same form as in this picture. Is it okay to cut off all the side stems and stake only one up or should I just stake it and allow all of the other stems to grow as well? I'm reluctant to cut them because they are so healthy. When is the best season to do this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shaping grape vines

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, May 29, 13 at 18:21

It sounds well shaped so just let it grow. If it grows enough this year you can leave a small crop next year. Each year prune it in the winter.

o

• Posted by dan8 Stockton, CA Zone 9 (My Page) on
    Wed, May 29, 13 at 22:45

Here's a picture of it.
..Since I'm planning on having one central "trunk," will allowing the branches on the side to grow take away energy that can be used towards that central trunk to make it bigger and stronger faster?

o

Wed, May 29, 13 at 23:07

You can cut back to one shoot or let it all grow and build a trunk next year. Actually the best method is probably to let it all grow this year and cut it back nearly to the ground next year. This will result in a really strong shoot next year that makes a good plant. Most don't like this approach because they think they are losing a year. That's not the case because what's most important is the size of the roots. More top growth this year equals more roots and a bigger plant next year.

A middle road approach is to run the strongest up a stake for the trunk and keep the others. Then cut out all the side shoots next winter.

o

Thu, May 30, 13 at 23:27

Thanks for your very informative answer- I would have never thought that letting more leaves grow would equal more roots. I will allow all of the stems to grow this year to encourage root growth, and start shaping it next year. Very excited with this one because the leaves are very ornamental.

o

"Actually the best method is probably to let it all grow this year and cut it back nearly to the ground next year. This will result in a really strong shoot next year that makes a good plant. "

That makes sense to me because it works the same way with climbing roses. When you say "nearly to the ground" how close to the ground are you talking about?

Thanks!

o

Fri, May 31, 13 at 12:42

rosieo:

Grapes are very reliable about sprouting back unless frozen. So it can be cut down to the lowest node. Then there will be a number of shoots. Train the best positioned strong shoot up the stake. This will give a straight trunk with widely spaced nodes. That leaves less nodes to debud where you don't want shoots.

o

Let it grow this year, then next year trim back all but the vine you want to be your trunk before it buds out in the spring. The extra growth this year will help the plant develop a stronger root system and store more energy for growth next year. They by eliminating the extra branches before it starts to grow, ALL the energy gathered by the removed branches will be pumped into the single vine and you will get good growth to that 'trunk' next year. Also on the trunk, you will get side shoots with grapes on them next year if it is healthy. I would remove most of those, but leave a few on so you get a few grapes and it will help prevent the possibility of developing 'bull canes'. Basically it will slow growth down slightly and use up some of that extra energy, bull canes tend to be less hardy and could cause issues in the future. Plant looks great so far, i really like grapes!

o

Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 18:47

Thanks for the very useful and detailed growing tips! I will do just that. I love grapes too, especially the small red crunchy ones. I've never grown grapes before until this year, and they seem to be a lot of fun, the way you can manipulate their form and all..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here