Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Persimmon tree - what's wrong with this...

Posted by scuzzynutty CA (My Page) on
Sat, May 18, 13 at 17:47

Wondering if someone has any insight.
I have a Persimmon tree planted in the ground. The first year when the tree was still in a pot there was about 20 blossoms, all dropped off. IPlanted the tree in the ground. Last year there were NO blossoms at all. This year there was about 25 blossoms, and they were growing. I just looked just now and all but about 7 have dropped off. Here is a pic of what's the blossoms that are falling off look like. It seems they're turning brown or something. Please let me know if you know what is causing this to happen and how I can fix it for the future. Thank you.

This post was edited by scuzzynutty on Sat, May 18, 13 at 18:37

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Persimmon tree - what's wrong with this...

Not sure why the links to my picture didn't work...but here is a pic

This post was edited by scuzzynutty on Sat, May 18, 13 at 18:32

o

Persimmons are notorious for dropping fruit if they are fertilized or have too much nitrogen. Have you fertilized lately?

o

As b_r indicated, nitrogen fertilization will make them drop fruit. Additionally, many 'young' persimmon trees will set, then abort most or all fruits early in their careers.
Just give it some time to settle into its groove - and stay away from high-N fertilizers.

o

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I did fertilize it recently. It was an organic 10-2-8. I guess the 10 did it huh?

When are you supposed to fertilize these persimmon trees then?

o

Sc,

Persimmon just needs some mulch around the base of tree and plenty of water. No need for fertilizer.

Tony

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here