Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Espalier apple tree...what to do??

Posted by howboutbake 5b (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 17:52

Hi there,

I'm new so I hope this is the correct forum.

I really wanted an apple tree for the backyard but my only option was an espalier due to space restrictions. The only espalier I could find was one grafted with six varieties...

It is still rather short (about 5ft) and I have enough space to let it grow larger. If I want more vertical growth, will I have to source and find material to graft on?

Also, is there a way to determine if the main trunk is rootstock, or a named variety?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Espalier apple tree...what to do??

I really like the way they've tagged the varieties.

o

Yeah, that part was useful :)

o

I bought the same type of Espalier and couldn't find out through the nursery I bought it from what the root stock was. I have two and just used the growth off of the top limb closest to the middle. It worked just fine and the second year I have apples growing on my new fourth row limbs.

o

ahhh gotcha! That is just what I am going to do :) Thanks a million!

How is your tree performing? Have you lost any of the grafts? I keep hearing that these multi-varieties are not the best choice.

o

As for height,...you can grow them up on a angle until desired height.

o

That's true! Again, I never thought of doing a more fan-like formation. The branches are certainly flexible enough!

o

I think maybe they make the levels to close for shipping and a smaller tree. I removed my bottom ones because they were too close to the ground and the second level limbs. One day I noticed something was eating the bottom apples because they were squirrel height off the ground. I have read that on regular trees multi grafts can be a little learning curve because different varieties grow at different speeds and one side of the tree can get more out of control. the espalier is perfect for different varieties.

o

Haha I was looking at it today, and my most favourite varieties are the two on the bottom, and my two least favourites are on the top!

I think I will just get it in the ground and see how it goes

o

If you haven't already done it, you will need some sturdy posts and wire to keep your Espalier growing correctly. I was lucky the bottom ones were Spartan and Mcintosh which I already have as dwarf trees. One of the reasons I grew up more is because my top one is Gravenstein an early and very good apple.

o

Yeah I am going to grow it against a 10 ft fence and do a wire trellis (which is why I want to grow up) ...I also have a few grape vines that will benefit from it as well :)

The varieties I have are jonagold, Lodi, red delicious, golden delicious, Granny Smith, and Winesap.

I will post a picture when I get her all sorted. I am so excited! The tree was only 40 bucks too

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here