Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cocoa shell mulch

Posted by fireduck 10a (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 14 at 17:54

Has anybody used cocoa shells as a mulch? It seems like it would be good. I thought I had read that someone said it grows mold. Not sure if that is right...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cocoa shell mulch

I am currently using it in a small test spot. The bag says it will get moldy if it stays wet for long periods of time. I have not had an issue so far, I do live in a fairly dry area though. I am trying it because it is supposed to be less susceptible to being blown aound by the wind, that seems to be true for the most part.

o

thanks T..if the bag says it...it must be true. I could see where this would not be a good ingredient for a potting mix. Maybe OK for a mulch...huh?

o

I tried it in a potting mix and I had very poor results.

o

I tried it in a potting mix and I had very poor results.

o

I tried it in 1998. It smelled great and looked nice at first, but did get the white fungus on it, even though we hadn't had what's considered a lot of rain here in Connecticut. It also got crusty looking, needing to be broken up and never looking as attractive as it did when I first put it down.

o

Decided to definitely pass on using it for potting mix ingredient. The mold issue sounds like a major problem. Better suited for top mulch...if that. Lots of hype online....mostly from companies selling it.

o

Seriously?! "It gets fungus on it!" I can't stop laughing.

o

I hope you do not have dogs - cocoa in any from is poisonous for them

o

"I hope you do not have dogs - cocoa in any from is poisonous for them"

Yes, no, maybe.

Theobromine is hazardous to dogs (it's also hazardous to us, cats etc) LD50 for humans is 1000mg/kg. Dogs 300mg/kg. Cats 200mg/kg. Cats are much less likely to eat it because they're actually carnivores, where dogs are omnivores.

Cocoa shells have a very high concentration of theobromine, higher than most chocolates. Except when they doesn't - because most of the stuff being sold for landscaping is being stripped chemically (or via heat, etc) to remove the theobromine, because people own dogs.

From Home Depot, via snopes.com:

"The Home Depot does not and will not sell mulch harmful to pets. The mulch sold by The Home Depot containing cocoa shells goes through several cleaning processes, including a high heat system in order to strip the cocoa fat from the shells without the use of any chemicals."

o

physically...this stuff looks like a great product for a container ingredient or mulch. Chemically...it sure seems like there are a lot of question marks.

o

Any dog owners to check Home Depot pet safety claim?)
Not me...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here