Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you know when wolfberries are ready?

Posted by Moosetrackz 9 (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 17:57

Hello. I purchased a wolfberry bush about 4 months ago and I just noticed it has a few tiny fruits on it. How do I know when these are ripe? They're pretty red already, does that mean they're ripe?

DSC03397

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you know when wolfberries are ready?

Basically, yes, when fully red. You may find that you prefer the flavor after they sit longer on the plant, a few extra days, to lose as much of the bitterness as possible. Personally, not a big fan of the plant or fruit, what little it bears here, but since I bought it, I'll keep it, just so I can say I have it in my collection.

o

Thanks. I did not go out to buy a wolf berry plant. I asked if they had a gooseberry bush and this is what they gave me. I didn't think it looked right but it was on sale so I took it home and found out what it was. Now Im just keeping it because its sort of unusual and I guess it suppose to be good for you. The leaves taste ok too.

o

As Denninmi said, pick when fully red. They will separate easily from the stem when ripe. I don't like them straight off the plant. I slow dry them in the oven (@200f) until they are raisins and eat them for snacks.

This last Summer the yellow jackets discovered them and I found that some had holes "drilled" into them. Maybe I'll put some mosquito netting up this year. As healthy as they are I figure they are worth the bother.

o

• Posted by SoTX 8b/9a (My Page) on
    Thu, May 10, 12 at 16:08

I wish I had not planted mine--beware invasiveness! Mine diddled along for 5 years and then took off--everywhere & strangling other plants. Off subject, but be warned!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here