Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something is eating my pear tree leaves

Posted by TrpnBils 6B (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 14 at 18:02

Not sure what, but this is the first year for that tree (got it from Lowes and it's doing great other than this). On one side of the tree in particular, it looks like the leaves are being chewed on but we have never seen any insects on the leaves or elsewhere on the tree for that matter.

Not sure how old the tree is, but it's about 7ft tall and full of leaves aside from the ones being bitten up.

Any thoughts on what to look for? Nothing seems to be bothering our peach or cherry trees that are nearby, and nothing is touching the pear tree on the other side of our yard either.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something is eating my pear tree leaves

Leaves are used to make paper for hornet nest, wasp do same as well honey bees. Look close at eating points watch for bee type. At night May are June beetles bugs eat leaves they only eat night fly to ground in day time, look on ground for large beetles, round holes in soil another indicator. One hour after dark and strong flashlight may see beetles feeding.

o

I have had vegetable gardens, and my vegetables would be fine, but leafs would have holes. It was organic, and I wouldn't even use spray in certain ones, but it seems inevitable.

My pests are ear wigs, potato bugs and ants, I don't see many beetles around here. So I assumed bees.

o

Go out at night with a flashlight. There are many types of bugs that only come out at night and you will probably see the culprit then.

Scott

o

I posted about the same problem, and really only on my pears as far as tree leaves go.

Mine's definitely a night feeder. I haven't done the flashlight thing, but judging by a nearby grape vine, I know I have cutworms there and apparently they can affect fruit trees! Who knew, lol? I'm treating for cutworms and I'll see if that does it.

My pears are young (not many leaves/branches) and begin branching low to the ground, too. So cutworms could make sense in my case. I don't know if that helps you any, but maybe so :)

o

I am going to guess if its not one of the above suggestions then it might be caterpillars. On my trees I see curled up new growth leaves where they like to nest, open them up to find them living inside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here