Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheilawmbg

Do deer mow down blackberries with thorns

sheilawmbg
13 years ago

This may seem like a silly question. I already have a thornless blackberry but the deer keep eating the leaves and stems. It's so bad that it hasn't even had the opportunity to fruit. I was wondering if the deer will leave the thorned plants alone. I really love blackberries and would love to add more plants, but I really do not want to go to extreme measures to have them. Thanks for any information you can give.

Sheila

Comments (6)

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

First year growth be eaten on by deer after plants gets 2 or 3 year old they almost stop eating plants don't know why but if wire protect one year it want be so bad later years. This answer I got when ask Gary Pense at Boston mountain nursery few years back work to T lol he did not tell later they eat berries ripe green and red 6 Deer get on one side 800 ft row three days be very few berries.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

The deer here never touch the blackberries, they much prefer roses. I think if you planted enough roses they would leave your blackberries alone. Al

• djofnelson
    13 years ago

My deer prefer my thornless plants and rarely eat my thorny plants. I've got a Sylvan blackberry (which is covered in long thin thorns) that the deer don't touch, although my thornless are planted on the same trellis, so they've got a choice.

Plantskydd has worked really well for me in drastically reducing deer damage on my plants. If you've growing something as vigorous as Triple Crown, then just be vigilant for a season or two in spraying new shoots and the plant will get so huge that occasional nibbling won't do much harm.

• sheilawmbg
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you to everyone that has responded. I think I will have to either fence in the blackberries or get a shot gun. I think the fence is a better idea for me. Although, I do have neighbors that would love for me to get a shotgun and reduce the deer population. I have 150 acres of dense forest behind my property and have deer in extreme numbers. I have lost many plants over the years. I learned long ago not to plant roses.

Sheila

• djofnelson
    13 years ago

A fence is of course always the best option. My plantings are too spread out to fence everything without considerable expense, but I've got my strawberries and about 1/2 my raspberries fenced in with black plastic deer netting (zip tied to wire strewn between U-posts). I've also got a dog on a 5 AC invisible fence that protects a lot of my plantings during the growing season (I need to expand his fence to include my orchard, though). A single wire staked to the ground is obviously a lot cheaper than deer fencing when you've got a lot of ground to cover. The above, in combination with painting on Plantskydd during the winter to prevent rutting, has worked for me.