Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

Carmine jewel cherry questions

canadianplant
9 years ago

Just managed to get a 3 foot CJ cherry for 29 bucks. Looks great.

A lot of information online is pretty general/generic. I am wondering if you guys can tell me your experiences growing this cherry as in size when planting, years to produce, hardiness, how well it does in a community bed or anything else you think I should know.

Thanks
Jesse

Comments (8)

• Noogy
    9 years ago

Jesse,
    There are a lot of people raving about these hybrid bushes. I shall tell you pesonally in 2-3 months after my 1st try. I guess I shouldn't count them yet. There was a thread a little while back about how hardy and trouble free they are and how little care they need once established. Michigan Bulb has them for sale now for $6.50 a pc. with their discount. I already have a dozen or so, but at that price I got 15 more.

• mdo003
    9 years ago

I just bought one from Michigan bulb too there is also a free shipping code at retailmenot.com, I was thinking about getting a romeo though too if they are substantially better than carmine jewel otherwise id just stick with what I have, has anyone tried both?

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They have been the rage since Evans was rediscovered and since carmine jewel was developed. Hard to believe thats almost 15 years now!

They are bred mainly for the mid prairie climate in central saskatchewan (in saskatoon). Anything surviving their trials should be hardy to zone 3 at least by what ive read. They are considered trouble free there because many if not most pests and diseases are non existent up there. I havnt found any other information about their resistances out of the prairies or more northern locations. I have read over and over how carefree they are.

After going through more info, I am curious as to whether or not you could grow it as a multi stemmed tree rather then a "fruit bush".

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mdo - I can tell you that there are some differences between the romance series but the most notable is that all six can extend your harvest season substantially. Check out the link

Here is a link that might be useful: u of sask series cherries info

• don555
    9 years ago

Funny how many people want to grow these as trees. I don't think it would work. Here's a pic of my Carmine Jewel. You'd be fighting it constantly to try and turn this into a tree. Bushes are easier to pick anyway. Let it live happy and be a bush!
    {{gwi:102764}}

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Almost every picture I have seen shows then growing almost exactly as yours is. Did you get that as a small plug or a few years old?

Im asking if they can be grown as trees and how young yours was because of how mine looks at the moment. Its either pruned or grown as a small tree. No branches anywhere near as close to the ground as yours.

• don555
    9 years ago

Yes, I agree yours does seem to look tree-like in its youth. Fortunately I kept a picture of mine from May 2011, 8 days after I received and planted it. It wasn't as tree-like as yours appears, but it was definitely much less bushy than it is now. I'd be surprised if yours didn't fill out near the bottom, but that's just my guess. You might want to let it grow for a year or two unpruned and see it it's deciding to be a tree or a bush :)
    {{gwi:102765}}

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can say that it isnt grafted (they shouldnt be anyways), that was my first thought. I guess they just pruned it a bit higher. No harm I guess.

Yours put on some amazing growth don. I hope that mine does the same :D