Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why do my peaches trees drop green leaves?

Posted by mamuang Zone 6 a (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 18:30

Hi There,

For the past few days, my PF-1 and PF 24 c peach trees have dropped leaves. At first, the leaves turned yellow and dropped. Today, several dropped leaves were mostly green.

We have a lot of rain. This is the 3rd consecutive weeks of raining from Mon-Thurs. (don't know why Mother Nature has taken weekend off.) This week, it started raining on Mon and may not end until Sat.

Do peach trees drop leaves because of excessive moisture? Will the trees recover? My other fruit trees don't have this problem.

Also, some leaves did have some small brown spots on them. Is it some kind of fungus? If so, what would you recommend, please? Thank you for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why do my peaches trees drop green leaves?

I'd say you have the likely cause identified, wet feet. If there is anything you can do to aid drainage, consider doing that. Otherwise hope for dry weather. If this issue continues think about planting on raised beds next time and get a rootstock that is more tolerant. Lovell and Nemaguard are very sensitive to wet soil. Citation and a few others will take wetter conditions.

o
RE: Why do my peaches trees drop green leaves?

Thank you very much, Fruitnut.

Unfortunately, not only I can't do anything to aid the drainage (I planted them on my lawn which is level), I just mulched the darn things this past weekend.

I'll remove the mulch tomorrow and start praying.

Thank you for your advice on rootstocks. I have not paid much attention to them before. I will do now.

I just plan to plant a new peach tree (TangOs) on a mound next year following Olpea's system. It looks like I may need to plant a few more new peach trees if it does not stop raining anytime soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here