Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cherry leaf issue

Posted by queenskitchen 6B/7 (NYC) (My Page) on
Thu, May 16, 13 at 18:30

This tree has been doing great so far (2nd yr lapins). I noticed these leaeves when checking the tree the other day. They look like they a full size leaf shrunk and became wrinkly. It isnt starting at the edge or outside. Is this a fertilizer issue? It maybe started after a few days of heavy rain but i can't really tell the timing. so far it is only on the newer growth from a new branch or two formed from pruning. I think the smaller curled leaves are ones that just opened.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cherry leaf issue

• Posted by bencjedi 6 - Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Thu, May 16, 13 at 23:12

That kind of looks like Peach Leaf Curl, which is a fungal infection. I was just reading about it earlier and has to be controlled before the buds open in late winter with a spraying regimen. You might be able to pluck off the funky leaves to minimize the spread this year.

o

I looked it up but it doens't quite seem to fit the definition i found. Any other thoughts?

o

No, not PLC - this does not affect cherries. I would say it is one of two things, either aphids, which are very easy to control, or possibly variations in fertilization. You've got your tree in a container, so I'm thinking probably the latter. Either too much fertilizer released or not enough. Watering and fertilizing can be a little more tricky with stone fruit in pots - Fruitnut can give you some good guidelines for that if you need it. If you see aphids, which tend to attack the newer, more tender growth, just give the tree a hard spraying with water, then treat with hort oil. In either case, I don't think this is anything to worry about.

Patty S.

o

Thanks Patty you may be correct but the odd thing is that it is only on one or two of the main branches' leaves and not the whole tree. I gave the plant some osmocote slow release about a month ago (and boy did new branches take off after pruning- almost a foot of growth on many new branches). I did give it some dilute miracle grow a few times but then stopped because we had a long period of rain here.
I'll keep watching it for aphids but i havent seen any signs yet.

o

Hi queenskitchen. Did you make your cherry tree soil or did you purchase it. If you bought it where?

o

It is a modified gritty mix from the container forum. I replaced half the granite with perlite to keep the weight down. Still darn heavy though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here